Premier of the Virgin Islands and Minister of Finance, Hon. Andrew A. Fahie, outlined the Government’s plans to boost the Virgin Islands Economy through the Construction industry.
A significant project that will contribute to the government’s plans is the East End/ Long Look Sewerage Project. The resuming of the sewerage project was first announced by 7th District Representative, Hon. Natalio Wheatley at a community meeting early last month.
Premier Fahie further revealed in tonight’s address, that through the diligent work of the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission Board and the BVI Ports Authority Board, the government has been able to commence the long-overdue East End-Long Look Sewerage Project.
Premier Fahie further announced a list construction opportunities in which the government will undertake.
These projects include:
- repairs to the Honourable Ralph T. O’Neal Administration Complex in Tortola;
- repairs to the John E. George Administration Building in North Sound in Virgin Gorda;
- repairs to the Flax Administration Building and the Vanterpool Administration Building in the Valley Virgin Gorda;
- paving of public roads in Anegada;
- paving of public roads in Jost Van Dyke;
- repairs to the Anegada Fire Station;
- repairs to the Bregado Flax Education Centre in Virgin Gorda;
- construction of a new multipurpose port facility building at Jost Van Dyke;
- repairs to the Jeffery Caines Sports Arena in The Valley, Virgin Gorda;
- resurfacing and repairs of public roads, of which the same will be done in the East End-Long Look area in a few days;
- repairs to the Carrot Bay reservoir; and
- repairs to the Zion Hill reservoir, among many other ongoing construction projects and those that will be on the horizon in the near future.
Premier Fahie encourages local contractors to prepare themselves and their workers immediately as he sees this as an opportunity for many contractors in the BVI amidst the COVID-19 era.
Premier Fahie said that these projects and these funds will serve as a “booster shot” into the economy.
PHASED APPROACH TO ECONOMIC BOOST
The Goverment intends to boost various sectors in the economy through a phased approach.
Premier Fahie said “Your Government is feverishly working towards finetuning and finalising details to present to you the people, in short order, on various sectors of the economy.”
He continued “Your Government intends to inform you about the plans and efforts to revitalise all sectors of the economy. This is to say; we will be speaking about different sectors of the economy in a phased approach.”